I used some chalboard paint.I got mine at Walmart for a little over $10 with taxes included.
Then I cleaned the dry erase part as much as I can. As you can see,the board was just not fit to write on. It was really messed up.I never knew that a dry erase board can get messed up. So much for assuming stuff. Just ignore the corkboard side. I was using that side to keep up with my bills and calendar.
Next,I used a foam brush that I got in the dollar store and painted one coat. This is what it looked like.
A word of advice here. I shook the can up before opening.I seemed a bit watery to me. Then I realized that I needed to find me a stick to mix it...a DUH moment for me! I used an old dowel that I had laying around.
I let that coat dry a few hours.Then I repainted it a couple more time, leaving some time in between coats. If I was not in such a hurry yesterday, I probably would have seen the runs but I did not until it was a bit late. Well, anyway, I think it looked much better than it was at the "throw away" stage.